Our brand new 7-inch single, Turn Our Love Around b/w Stay, Too is available for preorder now from Mind Over Matter Records! There are three different vinyl colors, so if I were you, I'd buy all three as soon as possible (there are only 150 copies, total). The songs will also be streaming on Bandcamp next week, and if you were me, you'd be checking them out there.
Some miscellaneous information about this record:
- These two songs are exclusive to this 7" single. We're currently deep in the midst of recording a new full-length album, but we're trying a new process that includes loads of planning and scheduling and preparation. When Austin called and invited me to participate in this 7" subscription series, we were in a period of downtime between LP recording sessions, so I wrote and recorded these two new songs at home just for this release. It was spontaneous and lots of fun.
- These songs were mixed/co-produced by the one and only Adam Jessup. Incidentally, Adam stopped by my house last night. When I gave him a copy of the record, he took a look at it and said, "Oh...I thought, "Stay, Too", was the A-side!". Does that mean both of these songs are A-side-quality bangers, or does it mean that my communication skills are poor? The world may never know!
- The artwork for this 7" was created by my old friend Seth Scantlen, whose work I absolutely love and am inspired by. He's got a real knack for making fluidity and rigidity live together seamlessly in a sort of symbiotic way. When we were teenagers in rural Indiana, Seth had a lot to do with developing a weird and vibrant music scene that grew out of nowhere and left a massive impression on me, and in small ways even included me. I think I'll always feel grateful to him for that. Fun fact (and he doesn't know this), but for a few years after high school, my friends and I would very jokingly refer to Seth as "our Lord and Saviour, Seth Scantlen", because of the way he influenced our take on music and making stuff. Because, the thing is, when you look back on the shorelines of your life and see the times when there is only one set of footprints in the sand, it was then that Seth was carrying you...
- My wife, Jessica, sings three part harmony with herself on "Turn Our Love Around". It's not the first time we've recorded together, but it is the best time, and she did a great job. It was funny to record a song with my spouse, in our own home, because it was very casual. I think I interrupted whatever she was doing and asked her to "do some singing real quick?". She nailed it in a take or two (never having heard it before), and then went about her business, probably rearing our children while I continued to fiddle-fart around.
- I put the lyrics to these songs on the "Lyrics" page of this website
- "Turn Our Love Around" is about not giving up on your relationships with people because they're changing. It's a reminder to myself to try and grow and evolve with my friends, not in reaction or opposition to them.
- "Stay, Too" is about the secret things in my mind that influence the way I am changing. Fleeting, ephemeral experiences of no consequence that no one else could possibly remember but me, but that for some reason, mattered to me and made an impression. It's funny what stands out sometimes, even as I forget "important" things. Weird, huh?
Thanks, I hope you like these tunes!